FPF-fwd.: FAIR + VHeadline.com - VenezuelaFAIR: Parade Magazine's Smear: Chavez a terrorist funder?Thu Oct 13, 2005 04:38220.127.116.11
Action Alert: FAIR condemns Parade Magazine's Smear
Venezuela - VHeadline.com Reporters - The US media watch group FAIR (Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting) has issued a report condemning an October 9 issue of the widely distributed Parade magazine -- a Sunday newspaper supplement with a circulation of 34.5 million -- which published an inaccurate smear against Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez.
The smear, which appeared in Walter Scott's Personality Parade Q&A column was a response to a letter writer who wanted to know "where Fidel Castro gets the dough to shore up his bankrupt regime."
Scott's full answer was: "In the wake of the collapse of the USSR, which bankrolled him to the tune of $4 billion a year, Castro has turned to Hugo Chavez, Marxist president of Venezuela, the world's fifth-largest oil exporter. In addition to shoring up Castro, he's funding revolutionaries and terrorists throughout Latin America."
SCOTT'S TWO-SENTENCE RESPONSE MANAGED TO MISREPRESENT SEVERAL ISSUES.
Chavez is not a Marxist; asked about his politics by the left-wing publication CounterPunch (8/16/04), Chavez replied: "I don't believe in the dogmatic postulates of Marxist revolution. I don't accept that we are living in a period of proletarian revolutions... Are we aiming in Venezuela today for the abolition of private property or a classless society? I don't think so."
* Chavez describes himself as a Bolivarian, a follower of the 19th Century Latin American independence leader Simon Bolivar.
And while Venezuela does provide discounted oil to Cuba, more than 20,000 Cuban doctors are sent to work in Venezuela in exchange; the relationship is mutually beneficial.
AS FOR SCOTT'S CLAIM THAT CHAVEZ IS FUNDING "REVOLUTIONARIES AND TERRORISTS THROUGHOUT LATIN AMERICA," PARADE SHOULD PROVIDE EVIDENCE FOR THIS CHARGE OR ISSUE A RETRACTION.
The US State Department, hardly a pro-Chavez source, does not include Venezuela among the list of state sponsors of terrorism in its most recent "Country Reports on Terrorism" (4/05). The report's section on Venezuela only alleges that "it is unclear to what extent" Venezuela might support any of the principal combatants in Colombia's long-running civil war.
The report goes on to mention, however, that the Colombia and Venezuela governments have cooperated on some terrorism-related cases, and that several Venezuelan National Guard officers were reportedly killed by FARC forces near the border between the two countries.
While some anti-Chavez partisans have claimed that Chavez supports various terrorist groups, they have failed to back up these allegations with evidence.
For example, Pat Robertson -- the right-wing televangelist who has called for Chavez' assassination (700 Club, 8/22/05) -- recently claimed on CNN (10/9/05) that Chavez "sent $1.2 million in cash to Osama bin Laden right after 9/11."
WHEN ASKED FOR EVIDENCE, ROBERTSON COULD ONLY CLAIM THAT "SOURCES THAT CAME TO ME" TOLD HIM OF THE TRANSACTION.
"Walter Scott" is the pseudonym of Edward Klein, [FPF - http://tinyurl.com/2xz35 ] the author of the "The Truth About Hillary," a biography of Hillary Rodham Clinton that is riddled with errors (Media Matters, 6/23/05). Klein's book relies overwhelmingly on anonymous sources to make a series of lurid claims and innuendos, asking peculiar questions like, "Were there any telltale signs on the presidential sheets that [Hillary and Bill Clinton] ever had sex with each other?" Klein's book also floats the suggestion that that Chelsea Clinton was conceived as a result of Bill Clinton raping Hillary while on vacation in Bermuda. Perhaps Parade should consider whether "Scott"'s journalism deserves closer scrutiny.
Please call on Parade Magazine to either provide evidence for its claim that Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez is "funding revolutionaries and terrorists throughout Latin America" or else issue a retraction of the unattributed charge.
Lee Kravitz, editor
VENEZUELAN PRESIDENT A TERRORIST FUNDER?
FAIR, the national media watch group, has been offering well-documented criticism of media bias and censorship since 1986. We work to invigorate the First Amendment by advocating for greater diversity in the press and by scrutinizing media practices that marginalize public interest, minority and dissenting viewpoints. As an anti-censorship organization, we expose neglected news stories and defend working journalists when they are muzzled. As a progressive group, FAIR believes that structural reform is ultimately needed to break up the dominant media conglomerates, establish independent public broadcasting and promote strong non-profit sources of information.
FOREIGN PRESS FOUNDATION
Editor : Henk Ruyssenaars
MAIN$TREAM MEDIA MAKE MORONS!
* *The Dutch author this far has worked abroad for international media for more than 4 decades, as a fully independent foreign correspondent, of which 10 years - also during Gulf War I - in the Arab World and the Middle East. Seeing worldwide that every bullet and every bomb breeds more terrorism.
* MSNBC - Poll: Ninety-four (94) percent believes that George Bush and the neocon media mislead the nation to go to war with Iraq - Url.: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8248969/
* ''The Lancet'' and the ''Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health'' report: ''Over 100.000 killed in the illegal Iraq war''-Url.: http://tinyurl.com/5gys7
* Bush interview. ABC: No WMD's but many killed: "It was worth it" - Url.: http://tinyurl.com/6bal9
* Former Secr. of State Madeleine Albright in her comment on half a million dead children in Iraq: "We think it's worth it" On CBS 60' Minutes - Url.: http://tinyurl.com/2vmc8
* The must-see three-part BBC Documentary, "The Power of Nightmares," puts it bluntly: "Al-Qaeda is a (neocon) myth." - See Url.: http://www.guardian.co.uk/terrorism/story/0,12780,1327904,00.html
* Wayne Madsen: ''What has Israel to do with 9/11?'' - Url.: http://tinyurl.com/bj754 - 'American neocons' - Url.: http://tinyurl.com/b5vsb - The US Federal Reserve and the private banks owning it - Url.: http://tinyurl.com/d3ntq
* Are their Corporate News Media Incompetent, Criminally Negligent or Complicit? - Url.: http://tinyurl.com/cqpfe
* Brainwashed? - Take the free 'Gullibility Factor' test to find out if you're really a mind slave, or not - Url.: http://tinyurl.com/cbgnc
* Colin Powell: 'It is not anti-Semitic to criticize the policies of the state of Israel' - Url.:http://tinyurl.com/22p6c
* American car magnate Henry Ford investigated 85 years ago the global problem - Url.: http://tinyurl.com/2xz35
* Help all the troops of whatever nationality to come back from abroad! We need them badly at home in many countries - AND WITH ALL THEIR WEAPONS, WHICH WE PAID FOR BY TAXES - to fight with us against our so called 'governments' and their malignant managers - Url.: http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/
* The World Can't Wait! - Drive out the neocons and their 'Bush Regime' - Mobilize for November 2, 2005! - Url.: http://www.worldcantwait.org/
FPF-COPYRIGHT NOTICE - In accordance with Title 17 U. S. C. Section 107 - any copyrighted work in this message is distributed by the Foreign Press Foundation under fair use, without profit or payment, to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the information. Url.: http://liimirror.warwick.ac.uk/uscode/17/107.html
Main Page -
Message Board by American Patriot Friends Network [APFN]
APFN MESSAGEBOARD ARCHIVES