t r u t h o u t | 06.28White House Rejects Subpoenas, Showdown LoomsThu Jun 28, 2007 15:10
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: White House Rejects Subpoenas, Showdown Looms
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 10:59:46 -0700
From: t r u t h o u t email@example.com
Bush administration asserts executive privilege, Conyers says contempt of Congress citation may be needed; Senate blocks the immigration bill; Senator Leahy concerned that Bush-appointed judge may not have told the truth; no-bid contract grows from $2 million to $124 million; Joe Brewer examines the problems with increasing use of biofuels; and more ... Browse our continually updating front page at http://www.truthout.org
t r u t h o u t | 06.28
White House Rejects Subpoenas, Showdown Looms
Following a Bush administration assertion of executive privilege today, reports Rachel Van Dongen for The Hill, House Judiciary Chairman John Conyers immediately suggested that a contempt of Congress citation may be needed.
Senate Blocks Immigration Bill
"The Senate drove a stake Thursday through President Bush's plan to legalize millions of unlawful immigrants, likely postponing major action on immigration until after the 2008 elections," reports Charles Babington of the Associated Press.
Senator Leahy Seeks Probe of a Bush Judge
"Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy on Wednesday sought a federal investigation into whether a White House lawyer turned appeals court judge testified truthfully to Congress about the Bush administration's detention policies for enemy combatants," according to a Reuters report by Thomas Ferraro.
19 Billion Dollars Later, Iraqi Forces Fall Short
Stephen Collinson of Agence France-Presse reports: "Four years after the US invasion, 346,500 Iraqi military and police have been trained, but readiness is not evenly spread and there is strong evidence some newly trained troops are committing sectarian violence."
Fired Prosecutor Says Gonzales Pushed Death Penalty
Washington Post reporter Amy Goldstein writes, "Paul K. Charlton, one of nine US attorneys fired last year, told members of Congress yesterday that Attorney General Alberto R. Gonzales has been overzealous in ordering federal prosecutors to seek the death penalty, including in an Arizona murder case in which no body had been recovered."
$2 Million No-Bid Contract Balloons to $124 Million
A $2 million no-bid security project has ballooned to $124 million reports Robert O'Harrow Jr. in today in the Washington Post.
The CIA's Dirty Tricks from Then ... to Now
Rue89's Pierre Haski points out that the CIA's execution of dirty tricks is hardly ancient history ...
Joe Brewer | The Coming Biofuels Disaster
Joe Brewer, research fellow at The Rockridge Institute reports on the dangers in the Bush administrations push to increase use of biofuels.
VIDEO: "SiCKO" Goes to Washington
Just one week before the release of Michael Moore's new documentary about the American health care industry, Moore traveled to Washington to push for universal health care. Truthout's Geoffrey Millard followed Moore as he testified before Congress, and provided a screening of the film to health care lobbyists. SiCKO premieres around the country on Friday June 29th.
RE: AUDIO JFK....."THE MEDIA"
Former Transportation Secretary Also Reveals Lynn Cheney Was
in PEOC Bunker and Contradicts 9/11 Commission Report's
Account of Dick Cheney's Timetable
Mineta is on video testifying before the 9/11 Commission ,
though it was omitted from their final report.
He told Lee Hamilton:
“During the time that the airplane was coming into the Pentagon, there was a young man who would come in and say to the Vice President…the plane is 50 miles out…the plane is 30 miles out….and when it got down to the plane is 10 miles out, the young man also said to the vice president “do the orders still stand?” And the Vice President turned and whipped his neck around and said “Of course the orders still stand, have you heard anything to the contrary!?
Mineta confirmed his statements with reporters, "When I overheard something about 'the orders still stand' and so, what I thought of was that they had already made the decision to shoot something down."
Mineta was still in the PEOG bunker when the plane was reported down in Shanksville, Pennsylvania.
"I remember later on when I heard about the Shanksville plane going down, the Vice President was right across from me, and I said, 'Do you think that we shot it down ourselves?' He said, 'I don't know.' He said, 'Let's find out.' So he had someone check with the Pentagon. That was about maybe, let's say 10:30 or so, and we never heard back from the DoD until probably about 12:30. And they said, 'No, we didn't do it.'"
The two hour time delay is suspicious given the Vice President's own account of the dedicated video communications available that morning, as he told it to Tim Russert of Meet the Press on September 16, 2001 .
"We had access, secured communications with Air Force One, with the secretary of Defense over in the Pentagon. We had also the secure videoconference that ties together the White House, CIA, State, Justice, Defense--a very useful and valuable facility. We have the counterterrorism task force up on that net. And so I was in a position to be able to see all the stuff coming in, receive reports and then make decisions in terms of acting with it."
At a bare minimum, this confirmation by Norman Mineta is in gross contradiction to the 9/11 Commission Report and poses serious questions about the Vice President's role in ordering NORAD to stand down on 9/11.
Main Page -
Message Board by American Patriot Friends Network [APFN]
APFN MESSAGEBOARD ARCHIVES