THE CALL TO RESTORE OUR CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTSWed May 30, 2007 15:29
THE CALL TO RESTORE OUR CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS
RESTORE OUR RIGHTS
Delivery date: June 26, 2007
To My Members of Congress:
The Constitution and due process are in danger in America, as the Bush administration continues to run roughshod over our most fundamental constitutional rights.
We can no longer stand on the sidelines while the president extinguishes the light of American values, our civil liberties, and respect for law.
The America we know is disappearing, and the time to reverse this trend is now. I urge you to act immediately to:
1. Restore habeas corpus and due process.
2. Pass the Restoring the Constitution Act of 2007.
3. End torture and abuse in secret prisons.
4. Stop extraordinary rendition: secretly kidnapping people and sending them to countries that torture.
5. Close the detention center at Guantánamo Bay and give those held there access to justice.
6. Investigate wrongdoing and ensure those who broke the law are held accountable.
7. Restore American values and the rule of law.
Our commitment to freedom and fairness has made America the great country that it is today.
That is why we’ve come together to demand that you act immediately to preserve the hard-won rights that define us as a nation.
I stand with the ACLU and my fellow Americans, in person or in spirit, as we gather in Washington to restore our America this June 26, 2007.
City, State, ZIP
CLICK FOR MORE INFO:
You can be a part of something big this summer.
More than 60,000 people have already signed our petition to Congress,
demanding the restoration of habeas corpus and all our constitutional
This is an incredible response, but we need your help today to reach
our goal of 100,000 signatures. Sign the petition at:
At our Day of Action to Restore Law and Justice, we'll delive our
100,000 signature strong petition in person, demonstrate, rally, and
meet with Members of Congress.
Here are two things you can do right now:
1. Take a moment to sign our petition to Restore Law and Justice:
2. Sign up to join us on June 26th in Washington, D.C.:
At our Day of Action to Restore Law and Justice, we'll
deliver our Petition to Restore Law and Justice in person,
demonstrate, rally, and meet with Members of Congress.
With over 60,000 signatures already, plus your signature today,
we'll take Washington by storm:
Join thousands of other activists from around the country as we demand
the restoration of our country's most fundamental values:
* The right to due process. Habeas Corpus is a fundamental
American value but last year Congress and the President decided
that certain people no longer needed to be protected against
unlawful and indefinite imprisonment.
* An end to torture, abuse and secret prisons. In recent years,
prisoners have been detained in secret prisons, tortured and
abused in America's name. Sometimes they've even
been kidnapped off the street by our own government and sent to
countries that torture, a process called extraordinary
* Transparency and accountability. There have been some small
steps towards bringing those responsible for wrongdoing and
civil liberties violations to account. But much more
remains to be done.
The people responsible for upholding these rights must be held
accountable no matter how powerful they are.
Please take a moment to sign our petition to Restore Law and Justice:
Then, sign up to join us on June 26th in Washington, D.C.:
Hope to see you on June 26th!
Caroline Fredrickson, Director
ACLU Washington Legislative Office
© ACLU, 125 Broad Street, 18th Floor New York, NY 10004
Unsubscribe from receiving email, or change your email preferences:
Main Page - Friday, 05/30/07
Message Board by American Patriot Friends Network [APFN]
APFN MESSAGEBOARD ARCHIVES