By Paul Craig Roberts*BUSH MUST GOTue Jan 16, 2007 14:07
BUSH MUST GO
Only Impeachment Can Stop Him (WRONG, USE THE 25TH AMENDMENT)
By Paul Craig Roberts*
01/15/07 "Information Clearing House" - When are the American people and their representatives in Congress and the military going to wake up and realize that the US has an insane war criminal in the White House who is destroying all chances for peace in the world and establishing a police state in the US?
Americans don¹t have much time to realize this and to act before it is too late. Bush¹s ³surge² speech last Wednesday night makes it completely clear that his real purpose is to start wars with Iran and Syria before failure in Iraq brings an end to the neoconservative/Israeli plan to establish hegemony over the Middle East.
The ³surge² gives Congress, the media, and the foreign policy establishment something to debate and oppose, while Bush sets his plans in motion to orchestrate a war with Iran. Suddenly, we are hearing Bush regime propaganda that there are Iranian networks operating within Iraq that are working with the Iraqi insurgency and killing US troops.
This assertion is a lie and preposterous on its face. Iranian Shi¹ites are not going to arm Iraqi Sunnis, who are more focused on killing Iraqi Shi¹ites allied with Iran than on killing US troops. If the Iranians wanted to cause the US trouble in Iraq, they would encourage Iraqi Shi¹ites to join the insurgency against US forces. An insurgency drawn from 80% of the Iraqi population would overwhelm the US forces.
CBS reports that the news organization has been told by US officials ³that American forces have begun an aggressive and mostly secret ground campaign against networks of Iranians that had been operating with virtual impunity inside Iraq.² To manufacture evidence in behalf of this lie to feed to the gullible American public, US forces invaded an Iranian consulate in northern Iraq and kidnapped 5 consulate officials, claiming the Iranians were part of plans ³to kill Americans.² In typical Orwellian fashion, Secretary of State Condi Rice described Bush¹s aggression against Iran as designed to confront Tehran¹s aggression.
REFUSED TO GO ALONG WITH BUSH¹S PROPAGANDA PLOY
Iraqi government officials in the Kurdish province and the Iraqi foreign minister have refused to go along with Bush¹s propaganda ploy. Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari announced that the Iranian officials were no threat and were working in a liaison office that had Iraqi government approval and was in the process of being elevated into a consulate.
The Iraqi foreign minister said that US troops tried to seize more innocent people at the Irbil airport but were prevented by Kurdish troops.
The Kurds, of course, have been allies of the US forces, but Bush is willing to alienate the Kurds in the interest of provoking a war with Iran.
If Bush is unable to orchestrate war with Iran directly, he will orchestrate war indirectly by having US troops attack Iraqi Shi¹ite militias. Bush has already given orders for US troops to attack the Iraqi Shi¹ite militias, who oppose the Sunnis and have not been part of the insurgency. Obviously, once Bush can get US troops in open warfare with Iraqi Shi¹ites, the situation for US troops in Iraq will quickly go down hill. Bush will be able to blame Iranian Shi¹ites for arming Iraqi Shi¹ites that he can say are killing US troops.
Bush has also ordered the Persian Gulf to be congested with TWO US aircraft carrier attack groups. There is no military or diplomatic reason for even one attack group to be in the Persian Gulf. If Bush fails to orchestrate a war with Iran by kidnapping its officials or by attacking Shi¹ite militias, he can orchestrate an event like the Tonkin Gulf incident or have the Israelis pull another USS Liberty incident and blame the Iranians.
The Tonkin Gulf incident was used by the Johnson administration to deceive Congress and to involve the US in the Vietnam war. Johnson alleged a North Vietnamese attack on US warships.
In 1967 Israel attacked and destroyed the US intelligence ship Liberty, because Liberty¹s crew had picked up proof that Israel had initiated the war with Egypt and intended to attack Syria the next day (http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig/margolis12.html).
SOME HAVE SPECULATED THAT ISRAELIS HOPED THEIR ATTACK ON THE LIBERTY COULD BE BLAMED ON EGYPT AND USED TO DRAW THE US INTO THE WAR AGAINST EGYPT.
In 2003 the Moorer Commission [see http://www.ussliberty.org/report/report.pdf and http://www.ussliberty.org/moorerfindings.htm], headed by Admiral Tom Moorer, former Chief of Naval Operations and former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, concluded:
³That in attacking the USS Liberty, Israel committed acts of murder against American servicemen and an act of war against the United States.²
³That fearing conflict with Israel, the White House deliberately prevented the U.S. Navy from coming to the defense of USS Liberty.²
³the Captain and surviving crew members were later threatened with court-martial, imprisonment or worse if they exposed the truth; and were abandoned by their own government.²
³That due to the influence of Israel¹s powerful supporters in the United States, the White House deliberately covered up the facts of this attack from the American people.²
³That a danger to our national security exists whenever our elected officials are willing to subordinate American interests to those of any foreign nation, and specifically are unwilling to challenge Israel¹s interests when they conflict with American interests.²
On the 30th anniversary of Israel¹s destruction of the liberty, Admiral Moorer said that Israel attacked the Liberty because Israel knew that the intelligence ship could intercept Israel¹s plans to seize the Golan Heights from Syria, an act of Israeli aggression to which the US government was opposed. Admiral Moorer said, ³I believe Moshe Dayan concluded that he could prevent Washington from becoming aware of what Israel was up to by destroying the primary source of acquiring that information--the US Liberty.
MACHINE GUNS ALSO WERE TURNED ON LIFE RAFTS
Moorer reports that after a 25 minute air attack ³that pounded the Liberty with bombs, rockets, napalm and machine gun fire . . . three Israeli torpedo boats closed in for the kill . . . the torpedo boats¹ machine guns also were turned on life rafts that were deployed into the Mediterranean as well as those few on deck that had escaped damage.²
Admiral Moorer says, ³What is so chilling and cold-blooded, of course, is that they [Israel] could kill as many Americans as they did in confidence that Washington would cooperate in quelling any public outcry.² [see http://www.ussliberty.org/moorer3.htm]
The US invasion of Iraq and the looming US attack on Iran are proof that Israel has even more power over the White House today.
Bush has many ways to widen his war in the Middle East. His brutal aggression against Somalia has largely escaped criticism for the war crime that it is. On January 11 the US National Intelligence Director told Congress that Hezbollah in Lebanon may be the next US threat. Just as he lied to the entire world about Saddam Hussein and Iraq, Bush is lying about Iran. Bush and the neoconservatives are frantic for war with Iran to get underway before the US Congress forces a US withdrawal from the failed adventure in Iraq.
BUSH¹S ENTIRE ³WAR ON TERROR² IS BASED ON LIES.
The Bush Regime, desperate to keep its lies covered up, is now trying to prevent American law firms from defending the Guantanamo detainees. The Bush Regime is fearful that Americans will learn that the detainees are not terrorists but props in the regime¹s orchestrated ³terror war.²
On January 13 the New York Times (editorial) said that ³Cully Stimson, the deputy assistant secretary of defense for detainee affairs, tried to rally American corporations to stop doing business with law firms that represent inmates of the Guantanamo internment camp.² Stimson alleged that it was ³shocking² that American law firms were ³representing detainees down there.² He suggested that when corporate America got word of if, ³those C.E.O.¹s are going to make those law firms choose between representing terrorists or representing reputable firms. We want to watch that play out.²
The only reason for the Bush Regime¹s policy of indefinite detention without charges is that it has no charges to bring. The detainees are not terrorists. They are the Bush Regime¹s props in a fake war that serves as cover for the Regime¹s hegemonic policy in the Middle East.
The only action that can stop Bush is for both the Democratic and Republican leadership of the House and Senate to call on the White House, tell Bush they know what he is up to and that they will not fall for it a second time. The congressional leadership must tell Bush that if he does not immediately desist, he will be impeached and convicted before the week is out.
CAN A CONGRESSIONAL LEADERSHIP THAT LIVES IN FEAR OF THE ISRAEL LOBBY PERFORM THIS TASK?
All the rest is penny-ante. Revoking the Iraqi War Resolution as Rep. Sam Farr has proposed or requiring Bush to obtain congressional authorization prior to any US attack on Iran simply lets Bush and his Federalist Society apologists for executive dictatorship claim he has commander-in-chief powers and proceed with his planned aggression. Cutting off funding is not itself enough as Bush can raid other budgets. Non-binding resolutions of disapproval are meaningless to a president who doesn¹t care what anyone else thinks.
Nothing can stop the criminal Bush from instituting wider war in the Middle East that could become a catastrophic world war except an unequivocal statement from Congress that he will be impeached.
Bush has made the US into a colony of Israel. The US is incurring massive debt and loss of both life and reputation in order to silence Muslim opposition to Israel¹s theft of Palestine and the Golan Heights. That is what the ³war on terror² is about.
PAUL CRAIG ROBERTS
Paul Craig Roberts is an economist and a nationally syndicated columnist for Creators Syndicate. He served as an Assistant Secretary of the Treasury in the Reagan Administration. He is a former editor and columnist for the Wall Street Journal, Business Week, and Scripps Howard News Service. He is a graduate of the Georgia Institute of Technology and he holds a Ph.D. from the University of Virginia.
Click to read or post comments - Url.: http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article16175.htm
RELATED REFERENCES & LINKS:
* "Sarah, if the American people had ever known the truth about what we Bushes have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - George Bush Senior speaking in an interview with Sarah McClendon in December 1992. - And here's why: 'George Bush: The Unauthorized Biography' - by Webster G. Tarpley & Anton Chaitkin - Chapter - II - The Hitler Project - Url.: http://tinyurl.com/57qxk
* FOX: Video 49 min. - The example how viewers are brainwashed and 'outfoxed' - Url.: http://tinyurl.com/b2zzl
* Google search "Biggest threat to world peace" - Url.: http://tinyurl.com/dk2lj
* MSNBC - Live Vote: Do you believe President Bush's actions justify impeachment? - Url.: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10562904/
* "People do not forget. They do not forget the death of their fellows, they do not forget torture and mutilation, they do not forget injustice, they do not forget oppression, they do not forget the terrorism of mighty powers. They not only don't forget: they also strike back." - 2005 Nobel Literature Prize winner Harold Pinter - Url.: http://tinyurl.com/9cyeq
* The Nuremberg principles: "Any person who commits an act which constitutes a crime under international law is responsible therefor and liable to punishment." - Url.: http://tinyurl.com/byurp
* 'The war in Iraq is illegal' - BBC: video & text-interview of the United Nation's Secretary General Kofi Annan - Url.: http://tinyurl.com/5pl2v
* 'Spreading democracy' - Countries & US Death Squads - Url.: http://tinyurl.com/drnca - A 55' second sound bite concerning the US 'bringing democracy' everywhere - Url.: http://tinyurl.com/5u98v
* HOME MADE US TERROR: Al Qaeda The Database - Url.: http://tinyurl.com/cqx69
* Who's financing? - The 'Federal Reserve' and it's usurers is the absolute biggest crime against all humanity ever. - Url.: http://www.apfn.org/apfn/reserve.htm
* 'Freedom of the press is guaranteed only to those who own one' ‹ A.J. Liebling - The merciless engine of propaganda has been turned on: The infamous US 'Lie Factory' - Url.: http://tinyurl.com/8ncal
* The Dutch author this far has lived and worked abroad - never in an English speaking country - for more than 4 decades for international media as an independent foreign correspondent, of which 10 years - also during Gulf War I - in the Arab World and the Middle East. Seeing worldwide that every bullet and every bomb breeds more terrorism!
* FPF-COPYRIGHT NOTICE - In accordance with Title 17 U. S. C. Section 107 - any copyrighted work in this message is distributed by the Foreign Press Foundation under fair use, without profit or payment, to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the information. Url.: http://liimirror.warwick.ac.uk/uscode/17/107.html
* It's very unlikely, but if you would prefer to unsubscribe from the FPF-list, pls. just send an email in return with the word 'unsubscribe'.
FOREIGN PRESS FOUNDATION
Editor: Henk Ruyssenaars
Main Page -
Message Board by American Patriot Friends Network [APFN]
APFN MESSAGEBOARD ARCHIVES