Bloggers beware: US plans to 'fight the net' revealedTue Jan 30, 2007 19:03
FPF-fwd. BBC Pentagon correspondent
Bloggers beware: US plans to 'fight the net' revealed
Tue Jan 30, 2007 06:45
FPF-COMMENT: ALL UK MEDIA ARE CONTROLLED BY THE MILITARY TOO - Url.: http://www.serendipity.li/cda/dnot.html
BBC: "AND WEBSITES THAT APPEARED TO BE INFORMATION SITES ON THE POLITICS OF AFRICA AND THE BALKANS WERE FOUND TO BE RUN BY THE PENTAGON."
Since Thursday, January 25, 2007 when this article was posted: "Paris conference: $billions because Israel slaughtered Lebanon? "it seems to be impossible to post anything any longer on the two blogs the FPF used at 'Blogger (Yes, I know who the owners are, you too I presume...) at Url.: http://forpressfound.blogspot.com/
This item is also blogged at the new blog - Url.: http://forpressfound.weblogs.cz/
BLOGGERS BEWARE: US PLANS TO 'FIGHT THE NET' REVEALED
By Adam Brookes - BBC Pentagon correspondent
A newly declassified document gives a fascinating glimpse into the US military's plans for "information operations" - from psychological operations, to attacks on hostile computer networks.
As the world turns networked, the Pentagon is calculating the military opportunities that computer networks, wireless technologies and the modern media offer.
From influencing public opinion through new media to designing "computer network attack" weapons, the US military is learning to fight an electronic war.
The declassified document is called "Information Operations Roadmap". It was obtained by the National Security Archive at George Washington University using the Freedom of Information Act.
Officials in the Pentagon wrote it in 2003. The Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld, signed it.
The "roadmap" calls for a far-reaching overhaul of the military's ability to conduct information operations and electronic warfare. And, in some detail, it makes recommendations for how the US armed forces should think about this new, virtual warfare.
The document says that information is "critical to military success". Computer and telecommunications networks are of vital operational importance.
The operations described in the document include a surprising range of military activities: public affairs officers who brief journalists, psychological operations troops who try to manipulate the thoughts and beliefs of an enemy, computer network attack specialists who seek to destroy enemy networks.
ALL THESE ARE ENGAGED IN INFORMATION OPERATIONS.
Perhaps the most startling aspect of the roadmap is its acknowledgement that information put out as part of the military's psychological operations, or Psyops, is finding its way onto the computer and television screens of ordinary Americans.
"Information intended for foreign audiences, including public diplomacy and Psyops, is increasingly consumed by our domestic audience," it reads.
"Psyops messages will often be replayed by the news media for much larger audiences, including the American public," it goes on.
The document's authors acknowledge that American news media should not unwittingly broadcast military propaganda. "Specific boundaries should be established," they write. But they don't seem to explain how.
"In this day and age it is impossible to prevent stories that are fed abroad as part of psychological operations propaganda from blowing back into the United States - even though they were directed abroad," says Kristin Adair of the National Security Archive.
Public awareness of the US military's information operations is low, but it's growing - thanks to some operational clumsiness.
When it describes plans for electronic warfare, or EW, the document takes on an extraordinary tone. It seems to see the internet as being equivalent to an enemy weapons system
PLANT HUNDREDS OF STORIES IN IRAQI NEWSPAPERS
Late last year, it emerged that the Pentagon had paid a private company, the Lincoln Group, to plant hundreds of stories in Iraqi newspapers. The stories - all supportive of US policy - were written by military personnel and then placed in Iraqi publications.
AND WEBSITES THAT APPEARED TO BE INFORMATION SITES ON THE POLITICS OF AFRICA AND THE BALKANS WERE FOUND TO BE RUN BY THE PENTAGON.
But the true extent of the Pentagon's information operations, how they work, who they're aimed at, and at what point they turn from informing the public to influencing populations, is far from clear.
The roadmap, however, gives a flavour of what the US military is up to - and the grand scale on which it's thinking.
It reveals that Psyops personnel "support" the American government's international broadcasting. It singles out TV Marti - a station which broadcasts to Cuba - as receiving such support.
It recommends that a global website be established that supports America's strategic objectives. But no American diplomats here, thank you. The website would use content from "third parties with greater credibility to foreign audiences than US officials".
It also recommends that Psyops personnel should consider a range of technologies to disseminate propaganda in enemy territory: unmanned aerial vehicles, "miniaturized, scatterable public address systems", wireless devices, cellular phones and the internet.
'Fight the net'
When it describes plans for electronic warfare, or EW, the document takes on an extraordinary tone.
It seems to see the internet as being equivalent to an enemy weapons system.
"Strategy should be based on the premise that the Department [of Defense] will 'fight the net' as it would an enemy weapons system," it reads.
The slogan "fight the net" appears several times throughout the roadmap.
The authors warn that US networks are very vulnerable to attack by hackers, enemies seeking to disable them, or spies looking for intelligence.
"Networks are growing faster than we can defend them... Attack sophistication is increasing... Number of events is increasing."
US digital ambition
And, in a grand finale, the document recommends that the United States should seek the ability to "provide maximum control of the entire electromagnetic spectrum".
US forces should be able to "disrupt or destroy the full spectrum of globally emerging communications systems, sensors, and weapons systems dependent on the electromagnetic spectrum".
Consider that for a moment.
The US military seeks the capability to knock out every telephone, every networked computer, every radar system on the planet.
Are these plans the pipe dreams of self-aggrandising bureaucrats? Or are they real?
The fact that the "Information Operations Roadmap" is approved by the Secretary of Defense suggests that these plans are taken very seriously indeed in the Pentagon.
And that the scale and grandeur of the digital revolution is matched only by the US military's ambitions for it.
[andend] - Story from UK's propaganda unit BBC - Url.:
FPF RELATED LINKS:
* AxisofLogic/ Media Critiques - GOOGLE & YAHOO: COVERING UP GLOBAL NEWS ON 9/11 FAKE
By Henk Ruyssenaars with editorial comment by Les Blough - Jan 30, 2006 - Url.: http://www.axisoflogic.com/cgi-bin/exec/view.pl?archive=141&num=20872
* Compulsory ID Cards - the Dutch experience (Foreign Press Foundation)
The same ID card will be your key - or not - to an Internet which they control. - Url.: www.no2id-handf.org.uk/dutchfpf.htm
* GOOGLE +INTERNET +CENSORSHIP - Url.: http://tinyurl.com/25orly
* THE UNITED STATES IS DEFIANT OF ANY LAW ANYWHERE - Chertoff's lawless SS ('Security Service? - For whom?) roaming the US and it's fiefdoms. - Url.: http://tinyurl.com/yjaqkk
* PENTAGON THREATENED TO KILL JOURNALISTS - FPF/HR - Granma - Url.: http://tinyurl.com/bkzum
* R.I.P. Habeas Corpus & Powerless judges - Are we entering America's darkest hour? - Url.: http://www.cemab.be/news/2006/10/2015.php
* THE AMERICAN CONFESSION MACHINE: a 50.000 Volt 'stun belt' will make anybody 'confess' anything - Url.: tinyurl.com/lznn2
* US "Death Squad Protection Act" - Url.: http://tinyurl.com/6xdfw
* THE USE OF THE PHRASE 'ANTI SEMITISM' IS PURE NONSENSE - Url.: http://tinyurl.com/y8fwhf
* SCHOLARS FOR 9/11 TRUTH - American and other scientists, diplomats, researchers etc.: What happened on 9/11? - What is happening to our world? - How can we improve our situation? - Url.: http://www.st911.org/
* BBC IN ARABIC? US PROPAGANDA: R.I.P. AL JAZEERA - DAVID FROST 'FRONT MAN' AT AL-JAZEERA INTERNATIONAL - Url.: http://tinyurl.com/y6us8n
*THROW OUT WAR PROPAGANDISTS LIKE THE BBC, FOX, CNN ETC.! - Url.: http://www.cemab.be/news/2006/07/1632.php
* MORE CENSORSHIP: THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM: "The huge omnivorous herd consumes everywhere on our earth as much as it can grab, and tramples millions of human beings to death. That doesn't seem to matter. The 'elephant boys' don't speak about the bloody pulp underneath the feet of the big animals: instead they give them a bath in the mainstream." - Url.: http://tinyurl.com/np823
* MORE LINKS & BACKGROUND LINKS TO THOSE RESPONSIBLE - If after checking a factual error is found, pls. send an email so it can be corrected. - Url.: http://tinyurl.com/fhln9
* The Dutch author this far has lived and worked abroad - never in an English speaking country - for more than 4 decades for international media as an independent foreign correspondent, of which 10 years - also during Gulf War I - in the Arab World and the Middle East. Seeing worldwide that every bullet and every bomb breeds more terrorism! Which also French President Jacques Chirac confirmed - Url.: http://tinyurl.com/ym44vm
* FPF-COPYRIGHT NOTICE - In accordance with Title 17 U. S. C. Section 107 - any copyrighted work in this message is distributed by the Foreign Press Foundation under fair use, without profit or payment, to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the information. Url.: http://liimirror.warwick.ac.uk/uscode/17/107.html
FOREIGN PRESS FOUNDATION
Editor: Henk Ruyssenaars
Main Page - Friday, 02/02/07
Message Board by American Patriot Friends Network [APFN]
APFN MESSAGEBOARD ARCHIVES