Virginia Tech Shooter's Girlfriend IdentifiedTue Apr 17, 2007 12:30
Tuesday, April 17, 2007
Virginia Tech Shooter's Girlfriend Identified
In an exclusive scoop, this blog is going to tentatively identify Emily Hilscher of Woodville, Virginia, a freshman in equine science, as the former girlfriend of the Virginia Tech rampage killer. She was the first victim killed. She spent most of her free time riding horses and hoped to become a veterinarian.
A Black student named Ryan Clark, was the second victim killed. He was a resident advisor who came to break up the fight the shooter was having with Hilscher.
We don't have positive information proving that Hilscher was the former girlfriend of the killer, but we are going to go out on a limb for now and make this ID. Furthermore, the notion that the spree began with an ex-lover's quarrel is still rumor. Complicating the story further are reports that Hilscher had a high school sweetheart who she was very close to.
This story is very confusing and will be updated as more news comes in.
Hilscher's MySpace page (including a photo) is here. A large photo of Hilscher is here. Clark's MySpace page is here. A large photo of Clark is here. More photos of Hilscher can be found here and here. Tip of the hat to George Hall of the George's Journal blog for the scoop.
See the main story for more.
posted by Robert Lindsay at 4/17/2007 09:25:00 AM
The shooter was later identified as a 23-year old Cho Seung-hui, a South Korean living in Virginia as a United States Permanent Resident. He arrived in the US as an 5-year-old child in 1992 with his family. He was an undergraduate student in his senior year, majoring in English. A spokesman for Virginia Tech has described him as a loner, stating that the school is having difficulty finding information about him.
 Possible Motive
The motives of the gunman remain unclear, though the British tabloid Daily Mail reported that the shooter at the dormitory "was said to have quarreled in a dormitory with his girlfriend, whom he believed had been seeing another man. An RA was called but the shooter produced a gun and killed both his girlfriend and the RA." However, this theory is contradicted by a report in the Washington Post, which seems to indicate that the assailant was not the boyfriend of the girl, but rather someone else.
According to reports, professors in the English department have described his creative writing as so disturbing that he was referred to the University's counseling service. In addition, he recently showed troubling signs, including setting a fire in a dorm room and stalking some women. Investigators believe that he was taking medication for depression. In a note left in his dorm room he laid out a rambling list of grievances in which he railed against "rich kids," "debauchery" and "deceitful charlatans" on campus.. He signed the note "Ismail Ax", which means "Kills for Ishmael".
Professor Carolyn Rude, chairwoman of the university's English department, said she did not personally know the gunman. But she said she spoke with Lucinda Roy, the department's director of creative writing, who had Cho in one of her classes and described him as "troubled."
"There was some concern about him," Rude said. "Sometimes, in creative writing, people reveal things and you never know if it's creative or if they're describing things, if they're imagining things or just how real it might be. But we're all alert to not ignore things like this."
She said Cho was referred to the counseling service, but she said she did not know when, or what the outcome was. Rude refused to release any of his writings or his grades, citing privacy laws.
Officials believe he used a 9 mm Glock 19 and a .22 caliber Walther P-22 handgun. Cho purchased the 9 mm Glock 19 on March 13, 2007, and the .22 handgun possibly the weekend prior to the shooting.  According to former FBI agent Brad Garrett, "This was no spur of the moment crime. He's been thinking about this since at least the time he bought the first gun." 
One of the guns was used in both incidents. An official added that Cho was "heavily armed and wearing a vest." Cho was a student at the school and lived in one of the dormitories. Sources also state that Cho was carrying a "disturbing note." A student speaking to Times Now said that the first gunshots were heard when classes were in progress. "We heard about thirty gunshots in the morning. The gunman appeared to be Asian and was looking for his girlfriend," the student said. However, a relationship between any of the victims and the shooter has not yet been established. According to the official announcement from Virginia Tech, Cho Seung-hui was a "South Korean native in the U.S. as a resident with a residence established in Centreville, Virginia, was living on campus at 2121 Harper Residence Hall".. Permanent legal residents of the United States who are 21 years of age or older are eligible to purchase handguns provided they have not been convicted of any felonies or have other disqualifications.
This is a partial list and only includes victims who have been specifically named in the media.
 First shooting: West Ambler Johnston Hall Dormitory
Both of these victims were students.
* Ryan Clark, 22, a senior from Martinez, Georgia (a suburb of Augusta), triple-majoring in Biology, English, and Psychology. A resident advisor at the West Ambler Johnston Hall Dormitory, Clark was killed in the dormitory as he rushed over to investigate what was going on and came upon the gunman.
* Emily J. Hilscher, 19, a freshman from Woodville in Rappahannock County, Virginia.
 Second shooting: Norris Hall Engineering Building
* Ross Abdallah Alameddine, a sophomore from Saugus, Massachusetts.
* Brian Bluhm, a graduate student in Civil Engineering. 
* Caitlin Hammaren, a sophomore in International Studies and French.
* Matthew Laporte, a freshman from Dumont, New Jersey in University Studies.
* Jarrett Lane, a senior from Narrows, Virginia in Civil Engineering.
* Henry Lee, a freshman from Roanoke, Virginia in Computer Engineering.
* Juan Ortiz Ortiz, a Puerto Rican graduate student in Civil Engineering.
* Daniel Pérez Cueva, a student from Peru in International Relations.
* Erin Peterson, a freshman.
* Mary Karen Read, a freshman from Annandale, Virginia.
* Reema Samaha, a freshman from Centreville, Virginia.
* Leslie Sherman, a sophomore from Springfield, Virginia in History and International Studies.
* Maxine Turner, a senior from Vienna, Virginia in Chemical Engineering.
* Daniel O'Neil, a student from Lincoln, Rhode Island 
* Christopher Jamie Bishop, Instructor, Foreign Languages and Literatures (German).
* Jocelyne Couture-Nowak, Professor, Foreign Languages. A French teacher from Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
* Kevin Granata, Professor, Engineering Science & Mechanics.
* Liviu Librescu, Professor, Engineering Science & Mechanics, and Holocaust survivor. Killed while holding off the gunman so his students could escape out the window.
* G. V. Loganathan, Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering.
Tuesday, April 17th 2007 10:49AM
Press conference, this morning
Saira Haider and Kevin Anderson, CT News Staff
In a press conference held this morning at approximately 9:23 a.m., Virginia Tech Police identified the gunman as Cho Seung-Hui, a South Korean native and resident alien who was an undergraduate senior English major at Tech.
Cho was living on campus in Harper Hall. He is considered a loner and the police have had a difficult time finding information.
Virginia Tech Police Chief Wendell Flinchum said that a 9-milimeter handgun and a 22-calibur handgun were recovered from Norris Hall. Ballistic tests, conducted at the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives lab in Maryland, confirmed that one of the weapons matched the shooting in West Ambler-Johnston Hall.
Location: Oakhurst, California,
Independent Left journalist in California. Revolutionary, Christian, liberation theology, replacement theology, anti-authoritarian, civil libertarian, mixed economy, Sandinistas, Hugo Chavez. BA Journalism, MA Linguistics, Green Party, Communist Party USA, Democratic Party. Focus: General Left Analysis, Terror War, Iraq War, Islam, Jews, Arabs, Palestine-Israel Conflict, Middle East, technology, but write about many subjects. Generally, topics focused through a progressive, though heterodox, lens. Disgusted with the PC Liberal-Left. Iconoclast, smashes of all party lines, angers many. Channeling Lenny Bruce, Ambrose Bierce, Mark Twain and H.L. Mencken. Shoot first.
View my complete profile
INC World News: Live Blog
Every Fact From Every Viewpoint
- Virginia Tech Shooting 'Oddities' Virginia Tech Shooting 'Oddities', Wed Apr 18 01:18
- Virginia Tech School Shooting Caught on Camera YouTube, Tue Apr 17 11:57
- Virginia Tech shootings Jon Roland, Tue Apr 17 14:00
- Neo-Cons To Spin VA Massacre As Terrorist Attack ACHTUNG777, Wed Apr 18 15:44
- Re: Virginia Shooting Ron, Tue Apr 17 14:07
- Why You Should Own a Gun By Alan Caruba, Tue Apr 17 15:52
Main Page - Wednesday, 04/18/07
Message Board by American Patriot Friends Network [APFN]
APFN MESSAGEBOARD ARCHIVES